Want to learn the fine art of French cooking? Spend a sunny afternoon sailing on the York River? Own a piece of art from a famous French artist? Host a group of friends at the York County Wine Festival?
Then stop by the Ken Matthews Garden Center, 4921 George Washington Highway, on Saturday, May 4, 2-6 p.m, for a chance to bid on these items and more at the silent auction that is part of an authentic French Market Day.
Silent auction highlights include:
• A French cooking class
• Table for 8 at the York County Wine Festival
• Afternoon sail for 4 on the York River
• Gift certificates to area restaurants, including the Riverwalk, Joe and Mimma’s and I Hop
• Dessert of the month for 12 months
• Various gift baskets, including one themed on healthy living
• A signed lithograph, “Horse Races at Longchamps, Paris, France” by renowned French artist Jean Lareuse. The work is mixed media: original pastel and watercolor over lithograph. A book about his life’s work, including his summers spent at Prats-de-Mollo, a village not far from Port-Vendres, is included with the package.
Some items will have a minimum bid requirement. There also will be a “marché puce,” or flea market, featuring French linens and souvenirs from French travelers.
The French Market is free and open to the public.